QUI VEUT NÉGOCIER AVEC MOI ?

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    politikar Index du Forum -> politikar -> politikar
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
RICHARD STALLMAN
Invité

MessagePosté le: Dim 6 Mai - 21:11 (2012)    Sujet du message: QUI VEUT NÉGOCIER AVEC MOI ? Répondre en citant

Richard Stallman's Personal SiteIn the 1970s we had a name for politicians with policies like Obama's: Republicans.Therefore, Jill Stein for PresidentRSS site feed for the most recent political notes and news items.

This is the personal web site of Richard Stallman.
The views expressed here are my personal views, not those of the Free Software Foundation or the GNU Project.
The largest part of the site is the political notes, and they are typically updated every day.
I am trying to make a list of the photos people like best, among those I have taken and posted here. Please look in the Photos directory and email rms at gnu period org with the URLs of your favorites. Please give the path to the full size image and not the web page the image resides in.
I am looking for some who would like to organize a Grav-mass celebration in Boston or New York City next December 25th. If you are interested, please write to rms at gnu period org.
Latimes.com just announced it would put up a paywall. Please look through the past political notes for links to latimes.com and try to find replacement links. Send any links you find to rms at gnu period org.
The Independent also has a paywall, so links to independent.co.uk are probably broken now. If you can find the updated URLs at The Independent for links in the Political Notes, please send them to rms at gnu period org.
NYTimes.com has a paywall, but it makes an exception for incoming links (their so-called "social-media exception"). Due to this, it is okay to link to articles on nytimes.com.
My policy for links is that you should be able to follow the link and see the article without identifying yourself. I don't reject a site for asking general questions, such as your zip code, though I would not criticize you for giving false answers. I don't reject a site on account of other bad practices, but you might want to customize your browser to protect yourself. The LibreJS program will do parts of the job.
graphic by Susan Henson
Americans, you may wish to copy this icon to your own page, as a way of showing what patriotism means to you.Urgent action items
  • US citizens: call on Energy Secretary Chu to end fracking.
  • For one week: US citizens, phone your senators to oppose CISPA. Also sign this petition.
    The Capitol Switchboard numbers are 202-224-3121, 888-818-6641 and 888-355-3588.
  • US citizens: sign this petition to require labeling of GMOs.
  • Everyone: Obama's negotiators are trying to block global negotiations to protect marine life and fisheries. Sign this petition.
  • US citizens: phone your congresscritter to call for an investigation of Rupert Murdoch and News Corp. Also send mail through this page.
    The Capitol Switchboard numbers are 202-224-3121, 888-818-6641 and 888-355-3588.
  • US citizens: sign this petition against allowing poultry processors to do their own inspections.
    Also please sign this petition, directed at Obama.
  • US citizens: tell the SEC not to let publicly traded corporations hide their political spending.

• US citizens: rebuke the TPP negotiations: states and their corporate masters conspiring secretly against their citizens.

• US citizens: call your senators to oppose CISPA. Also send email through this campaign.
  • Everyone: Tell Shell's CEO: You can't profit from human rights abuse.
  • US citizens: phone your congresscritter to support the Violence Against Women Act.
    Here's a little more information, but I can't recommend you sign it since it requires running nonfree Javascript.
  • Everyone: phone people in North Carolina to help defeat an anti-gay initiative which also threatens everyone else.
  • US citizens: sign this petition for the Pentagon to stop buying from Rosoboronexport, which is a principal supplier of arms to Assad.
Recording of GuantanameroListen to the recording of Guantanamero, a protest song written in Spanish. The recording is in Ogg Vorbis format. To install an Ogg Vorbis player, see the FSF's Ogg Players page.There Ought to Be a Law
If a company has changed its name within the past 5 years, or if a substantial part of it was acquired from another company, it should be legally required to include a statement with the old name in all its publications, announcements, and paid publicity. This would foilcompanies like Blackwater and Philip Morris that change their names to escape the odium of their past deeds.
Mimi and Eunice
The Mimi and Eunice book by Nina Paley is great.
Quotes
Here are some quotations that I particularly like.

Most recent Political Notes and News Items(RSS Feed)

See the current pol-notes page for more.
(You may need to scroll down for more text if there is blank space in this column.)

[More Cartoons]

Copy this button (courtesy of R.Siddharth) to express your rejection of Facebook.

Support the Green Party
Don't do business with Amazon.
Don't use Facebook
Facebook's face recognition demonstrates a threat to everyone's privacy. I therefore ask people not to put photos of me on Facebook; you can do likewise.
Of course, Facebook is bad for many other reasons as well.

Boycott Harry Potter Books, Movies, etc.See harry-potter.html.
"Free Trade" Treaties
No national identity cards
I'd like to make a list of countries that do not require a national identity card, and have no plans to adopt one. If you live in or have confirmed knowledge of such a country, please send email to rms at gnu.org.
Here's my list of countries with no national ID cards and no plans for one: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK, the Philippines, and Switzerland. Australia's previous government tried to institute national ID cards, but the Labor government dropped the plan.
India is now trying to institute national ID cards. Support the campaign against them.
Austria doesn't require people to have a national ID card, but requires people to notify the police of where they are staying even for 3 days.
Finland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and Iceland don't have ID cards as such, but they have ID numbers that citizens are forced to use frequently. For example, in Iceland the national ID number is often required to rent a video or use a gym.
Wikipedia has a list of identity card policies by country.

Borders
Stay away from certain countries because of their bad immigration policies.

Flight connections
Avoid flight connections in these airports because of their treatment of passengers.

The Lifelong ActivistPeople often ask how I manage to continue devoting myself to progressive activism (such as the free software movement) for years without burning out. The best way I can answer is by recommending a book, The Lifelong Activist by Hillary Rettig.
I disagree with the book on one theoretical point in the last part of the book: we shouldn't think of political activism as beingmarketing and sales, because those terms refer to business, and politics is something much more important than mere business. However, this doesn't diminish the value of the book's practical advice about borrowing techniques from marketing and sales.
Disclosure: I am friends with the author.

Long-term action items
Political Articles
These are my political articles that are not related to the GNU operating system or free software. For GNU-related articles, see the GNU philosophy directory. You can also order copies of my book, 'Free Software, Free Society, 2nd edition', signed or not signed.
Political notes
Citation:

"Those who profess to favor freedom, yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."
Frederick Douglass, American Abolitionist, Letter to an associate, 1849

Here are notes about various issues I care about, usually with links to more information. The first file is the current one; go there to see the latest notes. 

Current (2012 January - April) | 2011 September - December | 2011 May - August | 2011 January - April | 2010 September - December | 2010 May - August | 2010 January - April | 2009 September - December |2009 May - August | 2009 January - April | 2008 September - December | 2008 May - August | 2008 January - April | 2007 September - December | 2007 May - August | 2007 January - April | 2006 September- December | 2006 May - August | 2006 January - April | 2005 September - December | 2005 May - August | 2005 January - April | 2004 September - December | 2004 May - August | 2004 January - April | 2003 September - December | 2003 May - August | 2003 January - April 2004 January - April | 2003 November - February | 2003 September - December | 2003 May - August | 2003 January - April | 2002 | 2001 | 2000]
Political notes about the 2001 G8 summit in Genoa, Italy are being archived on their own page
Travel experiencesSpeaking SchedulePhotos about my travelsScientific Linksa Serious Bio
Richard Matthew Stallman is a software developer and software freedom activist. In 1983 he announced the project to develop the GNU operating system, a Unix-like operating system meant to be entirely free software, and has been the project's leader ever since. With that announcement Stallman also launched the Free Software Movement. In October 1985 he started the Free Software Foundation.
The GNU/Linux system, which is a variant of GNU that also uses the kernel Linux developed by Linus Torvalds, are used in tens or hundreds of millions of computers, and are now preinstalled in computers available in retail stores. However, the distributors of these systems often disregard the ideas of freedom which make free software important.
That is why, since the mid-1990s, Stallman has spent most of his time in political advocacy for free software, and spreading the ethical ideas of the movement, as well as campaigning against both software patents and dangerous extension of copyright laws. Before that, Stallman developed a number of widely used software components of the GNU system, including the original Emacs, the GNU Compiler Collection, the GNU symbolic debugger (gdb)GNU Emacs, and various other programs for the GNU operating system.
Stallman pioneered the concept of copyleft, and is the main author of the GNU General Public License, the most widely used free software license.
Stallman gives speeches frequently about free software and related topics. Common speech titles include "The GNU Operating System and the Free Software movement", "The Dangers of Software Patents", and "Copyright and Community in the Age of the Computer Networks". A fourth common topic consists of explaining the changes in version 3 of the GNU General Public License, which was released in June 2007.
In 1999, Stallman called for development of a free on-line encyclopedia through the means of inviting the public to contribute articles.
After personal meetings, Stallman has obtained positive statements about free software from the then-President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, from French 2007 presidential candidate Ségolène Royal, and from the president of Ecuador Rafael Correa. In Venezuela, Stallman has promoted the adoption of free software in the state's oil company (PDVSA), in municipal government, and in the nation's military.
Stallman's writings on free software issues can be found in Free Software, Free Society (GNU Press, ISBN 1-882114-98-1). He has received the following awards:
  • 1986: Honorary life time membership in the Chalmers Computer Society
  • 1990: Receives a MacArthur Foundation Fellowship
  • 1990: The Association for Computing Machinery's Grace Murray Hopper Award "For pioneering work in the development of the extensible editor EMACS (Editing Macros)."
  • 1996: Honorary doctorate from Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology
  • 1998: Electronic Frontier Foundation's Pioneer award
  • 1999: Yuri Rubinsky Memorial Award
  • 2001: The Takeda Techno-Entrepreneurship Award for Social/Economic Well-Being
  • 2001: Honorary doctorate from the University of Glasgow
  • 2002: United States National Academy of Engineering membership
  • 2003: Honorary doctorate from the Vrije Universiteit Brussel
  • 2003: Honorary professorship from the Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería del Perú
  • 2004: Honorary doctorate from the Universidad Nacional de Salta, in Argentina
  • 2004: Honorary professorship from the Universidad Tecnológica del Perú
  • 2005: Fundazione Pistoletto prize
  • 2007: Honorary professorship from the Universidad Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, in Peru
  • 2007: First Premio Iternacional Extremadura al Conocimiento Libre
  • 2007: Honorary doctorate from the Universidad de Los Angeles de Chimbote, in Peru
  • 2007: Honorary doctorate from the University of Pavia
  • 2008: Honorary doctorate from the Universidad Nacional de Trujillo, in Peru
  • 2009: Honorary doctor of science degree from Lakehead University in Canada
  • 2008: Honorary doctorate from the Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, in Argentina

Stallman graduated from Harvard in 1974 with a BA in physics. During his college years, he also worked as a staff hacker at the MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab, learning operating system development by doing it. He wrote the first extensible Emacs text editor there in 1975. He also developed the AI technique of dependency-directed backtracking, also known as truth maintenance. In January 1984 he resigned from MIT to start the GNU project.
Richard Stallman's 1983 biography
(this biography was published in the first edition of "The Hacker's Dictionary".)
I was built at a laboratory in Manhattan around 1953, and moved to the MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab in 1971. My hobbies include affection, international folk dance, flying, cooking, physics, recorder, puns, science fiction fandom, and programming; I magically get paid for doing the last one. About a year ago i split up with the PDP-10 computer to which I was married for ten years. We still love each other, but the world is taking us in different directions. For the moment I still live in Cambridge, Massachusetts, among our old memories. "Richard Stallman" is just my mundane name; you can call me "rms".
 (jpeg 2k)
 (jpeg 64k) There is a black-and-white photograph of me as a 5820K Encapsulated Postscript file, a 3762K JPEG file, and a 5815K TIFF file.
Here is a color photo in JPEG format.
 Here is a more recent photo.
Photos and drawings
Citation:

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

A photo taken by Bill Ebbesen at the Danish Technical University on 2007/03/31. It is free to use and redistribute (placed in the public domain worldwide by the original copyright holder).

Photos from Copyright vs. Community event, Jan 31, 2008.
photo from a recent interview.
photo of RMS with a large "aureole" by Roberto Brenlla.
An imaginative painting of Richard Stallman, by Jin Wicked.
Another drawing of me, by Banlu Kemiyatorn.

Some humor
Here I am wearing my "power tie".
Here I am struggling to open a bottle of water.
My application to an join Marian Henley's Ex Boyfriends List
My funny poetry and song parodies
My Cartoons
My Puns in English
My Puns in Spanish
My Puns in French
Linguistic Swifties
What Republicans Believe.
I am a saint, in the Church of Emacs--Saint IGNUcius. The Church of Emacs will soon be officially listed by at least one person as his religion for census purposes.
There are no godfathers in the Church of Emacs, since there are no gods, but you can be someone's editorfather.
You can find jokes about me by other people in stallmanfacts.com. However, if a joke describes any software as "open" or "closed", please vote it down.
Stallman Does Dallas: "I have to warn you that Texans have been known to have an adverse reaction to my personality . . . "
The Dalai Lama today announced the official release of Yellow Hat GNU/Linux.
Pre-Zen Studies.
I found A funny song about the Mickey Mouse Copyright Act (officially the Sonny Bono Copyright Act) which extended copyright retroactively by 20 years on works made as early as the 1920s.
If you are a geek and read Spanish, you will love Raulito el Friki, who said "Hello, world!" immediately after he was born. Here's an archive of this now-defunct comic strip.
Here's someone else's humor about me. The statements attributed to me are quoted out of context from my info packet for people organizing my speeches.
Sleeping with Stallman at MIT.
Un malentendido gracioso.
Here's an April Fool about me. I don't know who wrote it, but I think it's funny.
Fiction
A science fiction story: Jinnetic Engineering (in PortugueseFarsiSpanishArmenianRussianFrench, and Italian).
The Right to Read
Books
My books on the Philosophy of Software Freedom, available from the GNU Press.
Non-Political Articles
Quantum Theory and Abortion Rights
proposal for gender neutrality in Spanish, suitable for both speech and writing.
Origin of the POSIX name.
On Hacking: In June 2000, while visiting Korea, I did a fun hack that clearly illustrates the original and true meaning of the word "hacker".
My Childhood Sweetheart
Predicting the attack on Pearl Harbor
LinksOther sites and organizations of interest:Thanks
I would like to thank:
  • Positive Internet for sponsoring this web site.
  • Victor Cortiano, T.F. Torrey, William Demchick, Lake Denman, Jeff Sites, and Scott Monahan for installing new text.
  • Mark Eriksen for providing the new search feature.
  • Craig Metrolis for working on making pages valid html.
  • John C. Vernaleo for helping to run the site.
  • Graziano Sorbaioli for improving the layout of the main page.

Please send comments on these web pages to rms at gnu period org.
Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Richard Stallman
Verbatim copying and redistribution of this entire page are permitted provided this notice is preserved.
Verbatim copying and redistribution of any of the photos in the photos subdirectory is permitted under the Creative Commons Noderivs license version 3.0 or later. You can copy and redistribute the photo of me playing music to the butterfly under the Creative Commons Noderivs Nocommercial license version 3.0 or later. Any other photos of me in this (the toplevel) directory may be copied and redistributed under theCreative Commons Noderivs license version 3.0 or later.

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Dim 6 Mai - 21:11 (2012)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
MICROSOFT
Invité

MessagePosté le: Dim 6 Mai - 21:15 (2012)    Sujet du message: DATA CRACKER Répondre en citant

Search

US Edition

• Companies
  • Hardware
  • Software
  • Mobile
  • Security
  • Research
  • Special Coverage

[*]http://www.zdnet.com/debate

[*]http://www.zdnet.com/ricoh-techvisualizer

[*]http://www.zdnet.com/anniversary

[*]http://www.zdnet.com/holiday-gift-guide

Friending FacebookEmil Protalinski

Home / News & Blogs / Friending Facebook

75Comments

more +

Facebook: Releasing your personal data reveals our trade secretsBy Emil Protalinski | October 12, 2011, 11:27am PDT
Summary: Facebook says it is not required to give you a copy of some of your personal data as it could adversely affect the company’s trade secrets and intellectual property.
Update: I followed up with both organizations. See Facebook: The law reasonably states you can’t have all your data and Europe versus Facebook: The law protects program logic, not data.
An Austrian group called Europe versus Facebook has so far made 22 complaints regarding the social network’s practices. In the process, the organization has stumbled upon an important tidbit: Facebook says it is not required to give you a copy of some of your personal data if it deems doing so would adversely affect its trade secrets or intellectual property.
On its website, Europe versus Facebook shows how to request a copy of your personal data on the social network. It explains that because of Ireland’s 1988 Data Protection Act (DPA), Facebook has to send you your data on a CD within 40 days of a request.
The organization managed to accidentally get Reddit involved, whose users recently overwhelmed Facebook with data requests by following a slightly altered version of the instructions. The company was forced to e-mail all users requesting data to say it was experiencing a significant delay in processing the requests and will be unlikely to respond within 40 days of the initial request.
Before Reddit found out about Facebook’s request tool, Max Schrems of Europe versus Facebook managed to receive a reply to his request. It was in the form of a CD-ROM storing over 1,222 pages. As he looked through the ridiculously long document however, Schrems noticed that important information was missing, and so he contacted Facebook again asking for the remaining data. Here’s Facebook response:
Citation:
Dear Mr. Schrems:
We refer to our previous correspondence and in particular your subject access request dated July 11, 2011 (the Request).
To date, we have disclosed all personal data to which you are entitled pursuant to Section 4 of the Irish Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 (the Acts).
Please note that certain categories of personal data are exempted from subject access requests.
Pursuant to Section 4(9) of the Acts, personal data which is impossible to furnish or which can only be furnished after disproportionate effort is exempt from the scope of a subject access request. We have not furnished personal data which cannot be extracted from our platform in the absence of is proportionate effort.
Section 4(12) of the Acts carves out an exception to subject access requests where the disclosures in response would adversely affect trade secrets or intellectual property. We have not provided any information to you which is a trade secret or intellectual property of Facebook Ireland Limited or its licensors.
Please be aware that we have complied with your subject access request, and that we are not required to comply with any future similar requests, unless, in our opinion, a reasonable period of time has elapsed.
Thanks for contacting Facebook,
Facebook User Operations Data Access Request Team

When Reddit users started getting e-mails from Facebook about a delay for their data requests, Schrems got one as well. He also got the response above, but I only picked up on it now, afterTechDirt linked to the a PDF of both e-mails.
It’s worth noting that also last month, Billy Hawkes, Ireland’s Data Protection Commissioner, announced that he will conduct a privacy audit of Facebook’s activities. Since Facebook’s international headquarters is in Dublin, all users outside the US and Canada could be affected by his findings.
His office decided to investigate the company after Europe versus Facebook’s 22 complaints were covered repeatedly in the media. For reference again, here are all the complaints:
  1. Pokes are kept even after the user “removes” them.
  2. Facebook is collecting data about people without their knowledge. This information is used to substitute existing profiles and to create profiles of non-users.
  3. Tags are used without the specific consent of the user. Users have to “untag” themselves (opt-out). Note: Facebook has announced changes for this.
  4. Facebook is gathering personal data e.g. via its iPhone-App or the “friend finder”. This data is used by Facebook without the consent of the data subjects.
  5. Postings that have been deleted showed up in the set of data that was received from Facebook.
  6. Users cannot see the settings under which content is distributed that they post on other’s pages.
  7. Messages (incl. Chat-Messages) are stored by Facebook even after the user “deleted” them. This means that all direct communication on Facebook can never be deleted.
  8. The privacy policy is vague, unclear and contradictory. If European and Irish standards are applied, the consent to the privacy policy is not valid. Facebook tried improving it earlier this year.
  9. The new face recognition feature is an disproportionate violation of the users right to privacy. Proper information and an unambiguous consent of the users is missing.
  10. Access Requests have not been answered fully. Many categories of information are missing.
  11. Tags that were “removed” by the user, are only deactivated but saved by Facebook.
  12. In its terms, Facebook says that it does not guarantee any level of data security.
  13. Applications of “friends” can access data of the user. There is no guarantee that these applications are following European privacy standards.
  14. All removed friends are stored by Facebook. This was reconfirmed recently.
  15. Facebook is hosting enormous amounts of personal data and it is processing all data for its own purposes. It seems Facebook is a prime example of illegal “excessive processing”.
  16. Facebook is running an opt-out system instead of an opt-in system, which is required by European law.
  17. The Like Button is creating extended user data that can be used to track users all over the internet. There is no legitimate purpose for the creation of the data. Users have not consented to the use.
  18. Facebook has certain obligations as a provider of a “cloud service” (e.g. not using third party data for its own purposes or only processing data when instructed to do so by the user).
  19. The privacy settings only regulate who can see the link to a picture. The picture itself is “public” on the internet. This makes it easy to circumvent the settings.
  20. Facebook is only deleting the link to pictures. The pictures are still public on the internet for a certain period of time (more than 32 hours).
  21. Users can be added to groups without their consent. Users may end up in groups that lead other to false impressions about a person.
  22. The policies are changed very frequently, users do not get properly informed, they are not asked to consent to new policies.

The Irish Data Protection Commissioner will have a tough time going through all of these complaints. Still, I would argue it will be even more difficult for Facebook to show that sending you certain parts of your personal data “would adversely affect trade secrets or intellectual property.”
I have contacted Facebook for more information about this issue and will update this article if I hear back.
See also:

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily e-mail newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

More from “Friending Facebook”
Facebook-eBay relationship will get a boost this week (rumor)
Walmart leverages Facebook to promote local stores

Topics
FacebookDataPrivacy PolicySocial MediaEmil Protalinski

Emil Protalinski has covered the tech industry for five years for multiple publications.
  • Full Bio
  • Disclosure
  • Contact

Vendor HotSpot
The 360° Conversation around Cloud Computing

TECH VISUALIZER brings the social conversation to life... powered byBrocadeLearn More »